Admission and Retention
Admission and Retention
There are three levels of review for selective admission, retention, and graduation from the safety management major.
Tentative Admission to Safety Management
Unconditionally admitted new freshmen or current students with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 must: complete satisfactorily all foundation courses; complete SFTY 212, 314, and 318 with a grade of C- or better; and establish an Indiana State University minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25.
Candidate for Internship
The internship policy of the major requires filing of an application, normally at the Student Internship Qualification Meeting in the academic year prior to the internship, and meeting these performance standards:
- Be in good standing during tentative admission phase of the curriculum.
- Have earned 65 or more semester credits and have an Indiana State University minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 (including a minimum of ten Indiana State University credits with a GPA of 2.25 or higher.)
- Maintain an Indiana State University GPA of 2.5 or higher in departmental SFTY courses.
- Maintain no less than a C- grade in departmental SFTY courses.
- Complete an internship application, attend internship organizational meeting, and submit a resume.
- Complete all prerequisite courses required for the internship, an internship application, attend internship organizational meeting, and submit a resume.
Candidate for Graduation
Applicants for graduation must complete all University graduation requirements stated elsewhere in the Catalog and simultaneously file an application for graduation review with the Safety Management Program. Safety management candidates for graduation must:
- Present a minimal ISU cumulative GPA of 2.25.
- Present a minimum Indiana State University GPA of 2.5 in all SFTY courses. At least 24 semester hours of the major must be completed at Indiana State University.
- Receive no less than a grade of “C-” in each SFTY course.
- Satisfactorily complete supervised safety management internship experience. (SFTY 492.)
- Complete remainder of major course requirements (Technology Management 492 or Human Resource Development 480 or 495; Applied Health Sciences 419; SFTY 335 and 335L, 416, 423, 460.)
The student will be notified of denial of admission to the Safety Management Program or removal from the Safety Management Program.