2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Apr 20, 2024  
2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived]

Student Affairs

The Division of Student Affairs oversees the programs, services, and facilities that support the co-curricular aspects of student life at Indiana State University. The following areas report to the Vice President for Student Affairs: the Dean of Students; the African American Cultural Center, Student Activities and Organizations, Recreational Sports, Career Center, Student Counseling Center, Leadership Programs, Residential Life, Dining Services, Hulman Memorial Student Union, Student Health Center, Student Publications, Intercollegiate Athletics, Student Judicial Programs, Public Safety, and Hulman Center/Tilson Music Hall.

The division oversees several publications especially important to assisting students in understanding the University. The Code of Student Conduct contains the regulations students must obey in order to maintain student status. Questions regarding the Code of Student Conduct should be directed to the Office of Student Judicial Programs. The Code can be accessed on-line at http://www.indstate.edu/sjp/ The Student Handbook is an on-line publication and contains a variety of information regarding programs, services, and policies. The Handbook can be accessed at http://www1.indstate.edu/studentaffairs/docs/handbook.pdf . Students are encouraged to review the information in these publications and to use these publications as resources throughout their college experience. Questions regarding the Handbook should be directed to Student Activities and Organizations.

New students, including transfers, are required by state law to have proper immunizations prior to enrollment at the University. Information regarding the necessary immunizations can be found by contacting the Student Health Center http://www.indstate.edu/shc/

For further information on Student Affairs programs and services, visit the divisions’ Web site at http://www1.indstate.edu/studentaffairs/ .

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal

The University may order the involuntary withdrawal of a student if it is determined that the student suffers a condition that:

  • Causes the student to engage in behavior that poses a significant danger of causing harm to the student or to others or to substantial property rights.
  • Involves a condition that threatens public health.
  • Renders the student unable to engage in basic required activities necessary to obtain an education.
  • Directly and substantially impedes the lawful activities of others.
  • Interferes with the educational process and orderly operation of the University.

Questions regarding this policy should be referred to Student Affairs.

Other University Services

On-Campus Employment. Indiana State University employs a large number of students who become an integral part of University operations. Holding a job during school increases time management skills and provides students with valuable work experiences. Being employed also allows students to meet new people, understand how the university system works, and earn money. On-campus employment is generally part-time-up to 20 hours per week-while a student is enrolled in classes. Many campus positions are filled by students on federal work-study, but the convenience and flexibility of on-campus employment appeals to other students as well. Student Employment Programs is a service of the Career Center and is located on the second floor of the Student Services Building. For more information call 237-5000 or visit the Web site at http://www.indstate.edu/carcen/student_employment/index.htm

Off-Campus Employment. ISU’s Career Center assists students who are seeking part-time jobs during the academic year or full-time jobs during the summer. Employers from the Wabash Valley community have historically shown an enthusiastic interest in providing employment to ISU students. The opportunities are varied and are often career-related. In addition, Career Fairs are held each academic year in the fall and spring semesters. For more information, contact the Career Center on the second floor of the Student Services Building or call 237-5000. The Web site is accessible continuously by visiting: http://career.indstate.edu.