Jan 23, 2022
Interior design is a multi-faceted profession in which creative and technical solutions are applied within a structure to achieve a built interior environment.
*Accredited by Council for Interior Design Accreditation. For more information click here.
1. At least a 2.5 cummulative GPA is required for unconditional acceptance into the IAD program. If recommended for admission by IAD faculty, applicants with a GPA lower than 2.5 will be offered a conditional acceptance on a space-available basis.
2. It is strongly recommended that each applicant take the Ishihara Test for Color Blindness and forward a copy of the results to IAD faculty (www.indstate.edu/interior).
3. International students must have a minimum TOEFL, score of 550 or equivalent.
Academic Standards for Interior Architecture Design Majors
The following standards apply with regard to the admission, retention, and graduation of students from the four-year undergraduate IAD program.
Each entering freshman selecting the Interior Architecture Design (IAD) program will be placed in the category of “predesign” within the IAD Bachelor of Fine Arts.
First Year: “Predesign” Courses
Students will remain in the “predesign” category until they complete the following first year “predesign” courses with an average GPA of 2.5 or higher:
Second Year Design Courses
Complete the following second year design courses with an average of 2.5 or higher:
Third and Fourth Year Design Courses
Complete the following third and fourth year design courses with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher:
Academic performance will be monitored regularly by the program. Students who do not maintain a 2.5 GPA will have a grace period in order to improve their performance. Students who continue to not meet GPA requirements and/or professional standards may be dismissed from the program.
Major Graduation Requirements
In order to graduate, students majoring in IAD must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5
- Complete all IAD courses with an average grade point of 2.5 or higher
- Complete all IAD design studio courses (IAD 251, 270, 351, 352, 451, 452) with a grade of C- or higher
- Complete the course work and any additional requirements that may be stipulated by the IAD Program such as professional standards
- At least 50% of IAD credits required for any IAD major should be taken at Indiana State University
Transfer and Readmission Policies
- Students eligible to transfer into the “predesign” category or the IAD major from another institution must be in good academic standing.
- All design courses to be considered for transfer equivanlency must be approved by the IAD faculty.
- Students eligible to transfer into the third year IAD major must complete all first and second year design courses, specifically design studios with an overall acceptance into the third year of the IAD program.
- Students who have been readmitted are expected to meet degree requirements effective with their new admit term.
- At least 50% of IAD credits required for any IAD major should be taken at Indiana State University.
This program has the following GPA requirements: 2.20 overall GPA; 2.50 overall GPA in all IAD course work.