2022-2023 Academic BLUEprint 
    Jun 13, 2024  
2022-2023 Academic BLUEprint [Archived]


Enrollment Verifications

Students can print enrollment verification certifications and view enrollment history (from Fall 2006 forward) via the Web. This service is provided through the National Student Clearinghouse, a non-profit organization serving the higher education community.

This online service enables students to:

  • Print enrollment verification certificates to send to health insurers, housing providers, or other organizations requiring proof of a student’s enrollment.
  • Check the deferment forms and electronic notifications sent to lenders.
  • Obtain a list of their student loan lenders and link to real-time loan information.
  • View their enrollment history.
  • View enrollment verifications provided to student service providers at their request.


  • Log on to the MyISU Portal using University ID and password.
  • Click on “Enrollment Verification” located in the upper left-hand corner under class schedule.
  • This will direct you to the National Student Clearinghouse MyHub. 
  • You will need to set up the multi-factor authentication to access your enrollment verification. 

Note: International students without a Social Security Number who need enrollment verification certificates must contact the Office of the Registrar.

International Students

Indiana State University requires all international freshman and transfer undergraduate students, as well as international graduate students completing programs of study in the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics, to take the English Placement Test. This test is administered by the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics to determine your level of English writing proficiency and to determine whether you need to take an ESL class and, if so, which class you must take. Please note: The test is offered only during the international student orientation.   Students must bring some form of picture identification, such as a passport.   For additional information, please contact the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics at 812-237-2677.

Beginning in the fall of 2014, Indiana State University will charge a special administrative management fee of $300 per semester for sponsored international students and scholars who require third party billings and need extra assistance or whose sponsors have indicated a requirement for supplementary assistance beyond that of regular university programming. Revenues from the fee may also cover programs for sponsored students requiring special training, research costs, equipment, enrichment, or required travel or other needs deemed necessary by the sponsor.

Social Security Number

The University encourages that you submit your Social Security Number upon submitting your application for admission. This information is required for both federal and state reporting such as 1098T (Federal Tax form) and financial aid. You will not be permitted to register for classes until this information is submitted. International students who do not have a Social Security Number are exempt from this requirement.

Social Security Numbers can now be submitted via Secure Upload site: indstate.edu/secureupload.

State Immunization Requirements

Students may now submit immunization records online at https://www.indstate.edu/registrar/immune/index.php or via Secure Upload http://www.indstate.edu/secureupload

The following immunizations are required for admission by the State of Indiana and Indiana State University for full-time students with at least one on-campus course.

• 2 MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella) immunizations- Doses must be at least 28 days apart

• Tetanus and Diphtheria (Td or Tdap)- Must have received a dose within the last 10 years

• Meningitis Conjugate- Students who are 23 years old or younger must have received one dose on or after 16th birthday

• Meningitis B- Students who are 24 years old or younger must receive a complete Meningitis B series- Can be Bexsero (2 doses) or Trumenba (2-3 doses)   https://www.indstate.edu/sites/default/files/media/documents/pdf/immunizationflyer.pdf 

• Tuberculosis- International students must receive the Quantiferon Gold Blood Test- we do not accept any other TB tests

Failure to comply with the immunization requirements will result in an immunization hold being placed on your account preventing you from registering for the next semester.

Students needing either required or recommended immunizations can obtain them at the ISU Health Center (UAP Clinic) by calling (812) 237-3883 for an appointment. Please return completed immunization forms, which can be obtained at http://www.indstate.edu/registrar/Immunizations.htm, to the Office of the Registrar, Parsons Hall, room P009.

Personal Information

Legal Name-The name an individual uses for official governmental documents, such as licenses, passports, and tax forms.

Chosen Name-Indiana State University recognizes that many members of our community prefer to use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. The University is committed to using a self-identified chosen first name for an individual in our community wherever possible.  

Chosen First Name will Appear:  

Legal First Name will Appear:  

  • Alumni Office Records  

  • Online Directory  

  • Canvas  

  • Class Rosters  

  • Commencement Programs/Reader card at commencement ceremony  

  • Conduct Records 

  • Dean’s List 

  • Faculty Advisee Lists  

  • Student ID Card (not a legal form of ID)  

  • Admissions Decision Letters  

  • Financial Aid Communication  

  • Billing Records and Communication  

  • Official Transcripts  

  • Diploma  

  • Enrollment Verifications  

  • National Student Clearinghouse  

  • Tax Documents  

  • Medical Documents  

  • Immigrations Documents  

  • Paychecks and Paystubs  

  • Some official forms or correspondence from the University such as financial aid rewards, residence life contracts, departmental or program notices, new hire forms, etc.  

  • Education Abroad (i.e. travel documents, signature documents)  

  • Time Entry System (Kronos)  

  • Student Refunds and Reimbursements  

Legal Name Change 

Students who have had their legal names changed by the appropriate government entities shall inform the University of this change by completing and submitting the Change of Name/Sex form to the office of the Registrar. Official documentation showing the name was changed legally is required. Acceptable documentation includes: 

Court Order 

Driver’s License 


Social Security Card or Tax ID Card 

Former names and previous identities are maintained in the University student information system database to ensure correct selection when records are searched. If you need help changing your legal name, contact the LGBTQ Student Resource Center

Chosen Name Change 

Students may change their chosen name by going into their portal and changing the chosen name field in their student information. The person’s chosen name may be used in University communications and informational materials except where the use of the legal name is required by University business or legal need. Not all University information systems, databases, and processes may be able to display a chosen name, and many uses require display of the legal name; therefore, individuals who utilize a chosen name within University systems should always be prepared to reference their legal name and provide corresponding identifications when necessary. 

The legal last name will remain unchanged and will be included with the chosen first name. Chosen first names are limited to alphabetical characters, a hyphen (-) and a space. The University reserves the right to deny a chosen first name request if it is inappropriate in nature. Chosen names used as misrepresentation or fraud can result in disciplinary action in accordance with University policy. 

Gender Designation 

Indiana State University recognizes the need or preference for members of the University community to self-assert a gender other than their legal sex. As long as the use of this gender assertion is not intended for the purposes of avoiding legal obligations or for misrepresentation, the University acknowledges that a “gender designation” can be used where possible in the course of University business and education. 

The person’s gender designation may be used in University communications and informational materials except where the use of the legal sex is required by University business or legal need. Not all University information systems, databases, and processes may be able to store or display a separate gender designation, and there may be uses that require display of the legal sex; therefore, individuals who utilized a gender designation within University systems should always be prepared to reference their legal sex as well and to provide corresponding identification when necessary. 

Personal Pronoun 

To foster diversity and create a sense of belonging for the ISU community, the University recognizes the importance of providing students, faculty, staff and alumni the option to indicate their pronouns in University systems. If you decide to share your personal pronouns in MyISU, your pronouns will be included along with other information provided to University employees. 

To further an environment of inclusivity and respect surrounding pronoun use, individuals are encouraged to incorporate their pronouns in the following ways. 

  • Zoom: It is common practice for individuals to include their pronouns next to their name in Zoom. To do this, click the three dots in the top right-hand corner of your Zoom square, click “rename” and add your pronouns in parentheses after your name. For example, John Smith (He/Him). 

  • Email signatures: Individuals are welcome and encouraged to use the below e-mail signature. 

John Smith 

Pronouns: They/Them 


Options Offered 


Legal Sex 



For ISU required reporting, and to avoid even appearance of identity fraud, this must match current government designation. 

Gender Designation (Identity) 









These options don’t apply to me 

Prefer not to say 


Consistent, lived identity. Unlike legal sex or anatomical descriptors, this is the level at which most people interact with others. 

Personal Pronouns 




Ze/Zir/Zirs or Ze/Hir/Hirs 

I use multiple pronouns 

Just use my name 



These options do not apply to me 

Prefer not to say 

Term used as stand-in for name in conversation and correspondence. 


Updating Student Information

In addition to your mailing (home) address, you are required to have on file with the Office of the Registrar a local or campus address. Address changes may be completed on the MyISU Portal or by contacting the Office of the Registrar, Parsons Hall, room P009, extension 2020. Students without a current mailing or local address on file will be encumbered by the Office of the Registrar.

Students are also encouraged to update emergency contact information each semester.  Emergency contact information can be updated by clicking on the Emergency Contact link on the Miscellaneous tab in your MYISU portal.

Submitting Transcripts for Admission

To be official, transcripts must be sent directly from the high school to Indiana State University electronically or through postal mail to the Admission’s Office. A final high school transcript will be required upon graduation and completion of all high school course work. 

Effective Fall 2022, courses that are transferred into Indiana State University that are earned at the lower division level can only be awarded at the level that the credit was earned by the student. A lower division transfer course can equate to an Indiana State University upper division course content and clear a course requirement but cannot be awarded upper division credit for degree completion.

Definitions of College Terms

Understand terms that are common to most colleges

  • Academic Dismissal: Students who meet specific criteria will be academically dismissed unless an exception is provided by the dean of the relevant college on a case-by-case basis.
  • Academic Probation: If a student’s cumulative grade point average is less than 2.0, the student will be placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation will not be permitted to take more than 13 credit hours.
  • Academic Year: August through the following July. Includes the Fall/Spring semester, and Summer term.
  • Accredited: Certified by a specific state, regional, or national organization as meeting standards of quality in instruction, staffing, facilities, finances, and policies. Indiana State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission as a whole.
  • Add: Changing your schedule by adding a course after your initial registration.
  • Articulation Agreements: Agreements between ISU and another institution on pathways for students to transfer to ISU. Click here for more information.
  • Assessment: Basic skills tests in writing, reading, and math to assist you in selecting courses at the appropriate level. Generally, a math assessment is required for new students.
  • Associate Degree: Degree (credential) granted after successful completion of an academic program of study which has a minimum of 60 credits.
  • Audit of a Course: Registering for and attending a course, but participation is prohibited. Grade/credit is not received and does not count toward completion of a program or graduation.
  • Bachelor Degree: Degree (credential) granted after successful completion of an academic program of study which has a minimum of 120 credits.
  • Concentration: Set of courses (9 credits minimum) within a major that allows a student to focus on a particular area within, or closely related to, the major.
  • Certificate: Credential granted upon successful completion of a program of study which has less than 60 credits. 
  • Contact Hours: The total hours of lecture and laboratory instruction required for each course.
  • Corequisite: A course that must be taken during the same semester/term as another course. 
  • Course: A single subject, such as ENG 101, taken for one semester
  • Credits: Also referred to as Academic Credits, Credit Hours, and Semester Hours. Each course is assigned a number of credits which generally indicates the number of hours per week the class meets; i.e., a three-credit course generally meets three hours each week. Courses with labs and occupational courses, however, generally meet more hours than the number of credits they carry. 
  • Drop: Changing your schedule by dropping a course after your initial registration. 
  • Dual Degree: Pursuing a second or additional bachelor degree that is earned by completing two specified curricula concurrently. Students must earn 150 credit hours to complete a dual degree at ISU.
  • Elective: A course you may elect (choose) to take as opposed to a course you are required to take.
  • Fees: Special charges for courses or services other than tuition.
  • Financial Aid: Money received from various sources (grants, loans, scholarships, jobs) to help students with college costs. Most, but not all, forms of aid are based on financial need.
  • Foundational Studies: A group of courses in areas such as social science, natural/physical science, communication, and humanities that provide a common and broadly-based body of knowledge.
  • Freshman: Academic student who has earned fewer than 30 credits.
  • Full-Time Student: Enrolled in 12 or more credits in a semester/term for undergraduate students.
  • General Education: See Foundational Studies.
  • Good Standing: A student must maintain a ‘C’ (2.0) cumulative grade point average to be considered in good academic standing by the University.
  • GPA (Grade Point Average): The GPA is determined by dividing the grade points earned (see definition of grade points) by the number of credits attempted, excluding identified courses that do not impact the GPA. The semester/term GPA includes grades in each semester/term; the cumulative GPA includes grades from all semesters/terms at ISU.
  • Grade Appeal: The process available to all students if there is not agreement with the grade received in a course. Click here for more information.
  • Grade Points: Numerical values assigned to a letter grade for a course, which are then multiplied by the number of credits assigned to the course. For a complete list of Grade Points at ISU click here.
  • Graduation Requirements: Specific requirements that must be successfully completed to qualify for a degree or certificate. Click here for requirements at ISU.
  • Grants: Money provided for educational expenses that do not have to be repaid; also called “gift aid.”
  • In-State Student: A legal resident of the state of Indiana.
  • Junior: An academic student who has earned at least 60 credit hours.
  • Loans: Money you borrow from your bank or credit union for educational expenses which must be repaid after you leave school.
  • Major: The primary discipline or field of study that is part of a degree program.
  • Minor: A secondary discipline or field of study that is completed as part of a degree program.
  • Orientation: See State Start-Up.
  • Out-of-State Student: A legal resident of a state other than Indiana or of a foreign country.
  • Part-Time Student: Enrolled in less than 12 credits in a semester/term.
  • Prerequisite: Courses that must be successfully completed or requirements that must be met before enrolling in a specific course.
  • Program of Study: A Group of specific courses that are required in order to qualify for a degree or certificate.
  • Provisional Admission: A student who has been admitted to ISU with the understanding that specific requirements must still be met.
  • Registration: The time when you enroll in your courses and pay your tuition and fees. Click here for more information.
  • Regular Admission: A student who has been admitted to ISU with no other requirements needed.
  • Required Course: A required (not a choice) course in your program of study.
  • Semester: Generally 16 weeks in length. The two semesters in an academic year at ISU are Fall (mid-August through December) and Spring (January through early May). and Summer (mid-May through July).
  • Senior: Academic student who has earned at least 90 credit hours.
  • Sophomore: Academic student who has earned at least 30 credits hours.
  • Orientation: ISU calls this State Start-Up. A program you will participate in as a new ISU student, which will acquaint you with the college facilities, programs, services, and procedures and during which an advisor will assist you in reviewing your program and selecting your courses.
  • Statewide Transfer General Education Core (STGEC): Successful completion of the Statewide Transfer General Education Core at an Indiana public institution of higher education transfers as a block of 30 credit hours towards completion of Foundational Studies requirements at Indiana State University.
  • Summer Term: During the summer term, courses start and end at different times; although they traditionally run three, four, seven, eight, and eleven weeks.
  • Transcript: Your official ISU record listing all academic courses attempted with grades, credits, and grade points; all transfer credits accepted; and credit awarded by examination or advanced placement; and your cumulative GPA.
  • Transfer: The official process of moving from attending one college/university to attending another college/university.
  • TSAP-Transfer Single Articulation Pathways: Indiana legislature that helps students transfer to ISU after obtaining an associate degree from certain institutions. Click here for more information.
  • Tuition: Money paid to the college for instruction and services. In-State, Out-of-State, International, and Graduate rates are all different. See Fee Information .
  • Withdrawal: Student withdraws from all classes for which he/she is registered.

FAQ’s for S/U Grading

What do S/U grades mean?

  • Undergraduate students: A “U” grade indicates the student’s performance in the class would have resulted in a failing grade.  An “S” grade indicates the student would have passed with a D- or better.
  • Graduate students: A “U” grade indicates the student’s performance in the class would have resulted in a failing grade.  An “S” grade indicates the student would have passed with a C or better.

Do S/U grades factor into my GPA?

  • No, an S or a U will not impact your GPA.

Do S/U grades affect  my Satisfactory Academic Progess (SAP) for financial aid?

  • A U WILL impact SAP, the same as an F would impact SAP.

Will this impact my 21st Century Scholarship?

  • No. The State of Indiana will consider that all courses with an “S” are earned credits that count toward your degree.

What if my major requires me to earn a certain grade in a class I am in this semester?

  • Do not switch to U/S grading for that class.

What if my major requires me to earn a certain GPA in my major?

  • If your major does NOT require a minimum grade for each class, and instead has a requirement of a GPA across all major classes, then you could elect to take a major course S/U. But always check with an advisor first.

I am a student athlete.  How will a S/U grade affect my athletic eligibility or scholarship?

  • Check with your athletic advisor prior to making a decision about choosing S/U grades.

Can I change my mind after I’ve put in my request to switch?

  • Yes, as long as it’s by the May 1 deadline.  Use the system to indicate your decision.

If I want to stay with A-through-F letter grades for all of my classes, do I have to do anything?

  • No.

Will I get credit toward graduation with an S grade?

  • Yes, earning an S will mean those credits in that class will count toward graduation.  A grade of U means you will not earn those credits. Keep in mind that if your major requires a certain grade in a class for graduation, the S may not sufficient. Check with your advisor.

Will this affect my graduation in May?

  • Satisfactory grades will count toward graduation requirements. See above response as well.

What happens if I get a U in a class required in my major?

  • You will have to retake the class for credit.

I am in a pre-major and need to apply for my major at ISU. Will an S grade impact that application?

  • It may. Please check with the college and your advisor as to how they will count S grades in courses needed for admission to a major.

If I plan to go to graduate school, law school, or medical school, what should I do?

  • Other schools may not count S grades when determining admissions to graduate, law, or medical school. If you are completing any courses that are required by post-baccalaureate programs, you should probably not change those courses to S/U.

How do S/U grades work for students on academic probation?

  • Students on academic probation may choose the S/U option in their classes. Check with your academic advisor because the letter grade you may earn in the class may help your GPA. An S will not improve your GPA.

Will an S or U for a class impact my ability to be on the Dean’s List?

  • The Dean’s List policy as stated in the catalog still stands. It states that “Dean’s List includes full-time students whose semester grade point average is 3.5 to 4.0. Full-time status for Dean’s List calculation is determined by a minimum of 12 credit hours of punitive grades (“A” through “F”).” To earn a spot on the Dean’s list, you would need to have at least 12 credits hours be graded as A-F.

Will Latin Honors for graduation be impacted by S/U?

  • No. An S or U will neither improve nor prevent Latin Honors.

If I choose the S/U option for a class, does that mean I am now done in the class?

  • No. Making this choice does not mean that the class is over. You will still need to do what is necessary to achieve a passing grade in order to earn an S

​If my class was already an online class this semester, am I still able to choose the U/S option for it?

  • Yes.

I took a course in the first 8 weeks of the semester. Can I change that grade to the S/U option?

  • No. The work for courses in the first 8 weeks of spring semester was completed before we made the switch to remote learning. They are not available to change to S/U.

If I’m retaking a class to improve a grade earned previously, should I choose the U/S grade option for the class?

  • No.  Only a new letter grade will replace your previous course grade and only a new letter grade will change your GPA. For graduates, there is no option to repeat a course for GPA improvement.

Is there a certain amount of points that are needed to have earn an S?

  • Each instructor determines the grading scale for each course. The grading scale defined in the course syllabus will continue to apply.


FAQs specific to Graduate Students

I am taking some graduate or undergraduate courses needed for admission to my graduate program at ISU. How will S/U grading affect my admission into the program?

  • Courses graded S will be considered sufficient for meeting the prerequisite requirement for program admission at ISU. 

Can I petition for a S grade to count towards prerequisite course grade requirements?

  • Students will be able to petition in the same process that is used for any request to waive a requirement. However, students are strongly encouraged to consult with the graduate program director and their academic advisor before choosing the S/U option for prerequisite courses within the program.

Will instructors have a say in how these S/U course grades are distributed? Or can the students choose?

  • The decision is up to the student, except in those courses that have specific grade requirements for progression in the program. These requirements are documented in program handbooks or the graduate catalog. Students should consult with the graduate program director or advisor for further guidance.

How will this affect graduate students on academic probation that need to have a certain letter grade in order to maintain good standing?

  • Students on academic probation will not face dismissal if they earn C or better (including S) grades in all classes this semester. S/U grades are not calculated into cumulative GPA.