2019-2020 Academic BLUEprint 
    Feb 21, 2024  
2019-2020 Academic BLUEprint [Archived]


Enrollment Verifications

Students can print enrollment verification certifications and view enrollment history (from Fall 2006 forward) via the Web. This service is provided through the National Student Clearinghouse, a non-profit organization serving the higher education community.

This on-line service enables students to:

  • Print enrollment verification certificates to send to health insurers, housing providers, or other organizations requiring proof of a student’s enrollment.
  • Check the deferment forms and electronic notifications sent to lenders.
  • Obtain a list of their student loan lenders, and link to real-time loan information.
  • View their enrollment history.
  • View enrollment verifications provided to student service providers at their request.


  • Log on to the MyISU Portal using University ID and password.
  • Click on the “All Users” tab.
  • Click on “Enrollment Verification” located in the upper left-hand corner under “Registration and Records Quick Links,” and follow the instructions.

Note: International students without a Social Security Number who need enrollment verification certificates must contact the Office of Registration and Records.

International Students

Indiana State University requires all international freshman and transfer undergraduate students, as well as international graduate students completing programs of study in the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics, to take the English Placement Test. This test is administered by the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics to determine your level of English writing proficiency and to determine whether you need to take an ESL class and, if so, which class you must take. Please note: The test is offered only during the international student orientation.   Students must bring some form of picture identification, such as a passport.   For additional information, please contact the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics at 812-237-2677.

Beginning in the fall of 2014, Indiana State University will charge a special administrative management fee of $300 per semester for sponsored international students and scholars who require third party billings and need extra assistance or whose sponsors have indicated a requirement for supplementary assistance beyond that of regular university programming. Revenues from the fee may also cover programs for sponsored students requiring special training, research costs, equipment, enrichment, or required travel or other needs deemed necessary by the sponsor.

Social Security Number

The University encourages that you submit your Social Security Number upon submitting your application for admission. This information is required for both federal and state reporting such as 1098T (Federal Tax form) and financial aid. You will not be permitted to register for classes until this information is submitted. International students who do not have a Social Security Number are exempt from this requirement.

State Immunization Requirements

Students may now submit immunization records online at https://www.indstate.edu/registrar/immune/index.php

The following immunizations are required for admission by the State of Indiana and Indiana State University for full-time students with at least one on campus course.

• 2 MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella) immunizations- Doses must be at least 28 days apart

• Tetanus and Diphtheria (Td or Tdap)- Must have received dose within the last 10 years

• Meningitis Conjugate- Must have received one dose on or after 16th birthday

• Meningitis B- Students who are 24 years old or younger must receive a complete Meningitis B series- Can be Bexsero (2 doses) or Trumenba (2-3 doses)   https://www.indstate.edu/sites/default/files/media/documents/pdf/immunizationflyer.pdf 

• Tuberculosis- International students must receive the Quantiferon Gold Blood Test- we do not accept any other TB tests

Failure to comply with the immunization requirements will result in an immunization hold being placed on your account preventing you from registering for the next semester.

Students needing either required or recommended immunizations can obtain them at the UAP Clinic - ISU Health Center by calling (812) 237-3883 for an appointment. Please return completed immunization forms, which can be obtained at http://www.indstate.edu/registrar/Immunizations.htm, to the Office of Registration and Records, Parsons Hall, room P009.

Updating Student Information

In addition to your mailing (home) address, you are required to have on file with the Office of Registration and Records a local or campus address. Address changes may be completed on the MyISU Portal or by contacting the Office of Registration and Records, Parsons Hall, room P009, extension 2020. Students without a current mailing or local address on file will be encumbered by the Office of Registration and Records.

Students are also encouraged to update emergency contact information each semester.  Emergency contact information can be updated by clicking on the Emergency Contact link on the Miscellaneous tab in your MYISU portal.

Submitting Transcripts for Admission

To be official, transcripts must be sent directly from the high school to Indiana State University electronically or through postal mail, or in a sealed envelope from the institution, and they may be stamped “issued to student”. A final high school transcript will be required upon graduation and completion of all high school course work. 

FAQ’s for S/U Grading

What do S/U grades mean?

  • Undergraduate students: A “U” grade indicates the student’s performance in the class would have resulted in a failing grade.  An “S” grade indicates the student would have passed with a D- or better.
  • Graduate students: A “U” grade indicates the student’s performance in the class would have resulted in a failing grade.  An “S” grade indicates the student would have passed with a C or better.

Do S/U grades factor into my GPA?

  • No, an S or a U will not impact your GPA.

Do S/U grades affect  my Satisfactory Academic Progess (SAP) for financial aid?

  • A U WILL impact SAP, the same as an F would impact SAP.

Will this impact my 21st Century Scholarship?

  • No. The State of Indiana will consider that all courses with an “S” are earned credits that count toward your degree.

What if my major requires me to earn a certain grade in a class I am in this semester?

  • Do not switch to U/S grading for that class.

What if my major requires me to earn a certain GPA in my major?

  • If your major does NOT require a minimum grade for each class, and instead has a requirement of a GPA across all major classes, then you could elect to take a major course S/U. But always check with an advisor first.

I am a student athlete.  How will a S/U grade affect my athletic eligibility or scholarship?

  • Check with your athletic advisor prior to making a decision about choosing S/U grades.

Can I change my mind after I’ve put in my request to switch?

  • Yes, as long as it’s by the May 1 deadline.  Use the system to indicate your decision.

If I want to stay with A-through-F letter grades for all of my classes, do I have to do anything?

  • No.

Will I get credit toward graduation with an S grade?

  • Yes, earning an S will mean those credits in that class will count toward graduation.  A grade of U means you will not earn those credits. Keep in mind that if your major requires a certain grade in a class for graduation, the S may not sufficient. Check with your advisor.

Will this affect my graduation in May?

  • Satisfactory grades will count toward graduation requirements. See above response as well.

What happens if I get a U in a class required in my major?

  • You will have to retake the class for credit.

I am in a pre-major and need to apply for my major at ISU. Will an S grade impact that application?

  • It may. Please check with the college and your advisor as to how they will count S grades in courses needed for admission to a major.

If I plan to go to graduate school, law school, or medical school, what should I do?

  • Other schools may not count S grades when determining admissions to graduate, law, or medical school. If you are completing any courses that are required by post-baccalaureate programs, you should probably not change those courses to S/U.

How do S/U grades work for students on academic probation?

  • Students on academic probation may choose the S/U option in their classes. Check with your academic advisor because the letter grade you may earn in the class may help your GPA. An S will not improve your GPA.

Will an S or U for a class impact my ability to be on the Dean’s List?

  • The Dean’s List policy as stated in the catalog still stands. It states that “Dean’s List includes full-time students whose semester grade point average is 3.5 to 4.0. Full-time status for Dean’s List calculation is determined by a minimum of 12 credit hours of punitive grades (“A” through “F”).” To earn a spot on the Dean’s list, you would need to have at least 12 credits hours be graded as A-F.

Will Latin Honors for graduation be impacted by S/U?

  • No. An S or U will neither improve nor prevent Latin Honors.

If I choose the S/U option for a class, does that mean I am now done in the class?

  • No. Making this choice does not mean that the class is over. You will still need to do what is necessary to achieve a passing grade in order to earn an S

​If my class was already an online class this semester, am I still able to choose the U/S option for it?

  • Yes.

I took a course in the first 8 weeks of the semester. Can I change that grade to the S/U option?

  • No. The work for courses in the first 8 weeks of spring semester was completed before we made the switch to remote learning. They are not available to change to S/U.

If I’m retaking a class to improve a grade earned previously, should I choose the U/S grade option for the class?

  • No.  Only a new letter grade will replace your previous course grade and only a new letter grade will change your GPA. For graduates, there is no option to repeat a course for GPA improvement.

Is there a certain amount of points that are needed to have earn an S?

  • Each instructor determines the grading scale for each course. The grading scale defined in the course syllabus will continue to apply.


FAQs specific to Graduate Students

I am taking some graduate or undergraduate courses needed for admission to my graduate program at ISU. How will S/U grading affect my admission into the program?

  • Courses graded S will be considered sufficient for meeting the prerequisite requirement for program admission at ISU. 

Can I petition for a S grade to count towards prerequisite course grade requirements?

  • Students will be able to petition in the same process that is used for any request to waive a requirement. However, students are strongly encouraged to consult with the graduate program director and their academic advisor before choosing the S/U option for prerequisite courses within the program.

Will instructors have a say in how these S/U course grades are distributed? Or can the students choose?

  • The decision is up to the student, except in those courses that have specific grade requirements for progression in the program. These requirements are documented in program handbooks or the graduate catalog. Students should consult with the graduate program director or advisor for further guidance.

How will this affect graduate students on academic probation that need to have a certain letter grade in order to maintain good standing?

  • Students on academic probation will not face dismissal if they earn C or better (including S) grades in all classes this semester. S/U grades are not calculated into cumulative GPA.